Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Today-Get rid of unnecessary food purchases

My family is small right now- it's just my parents and me. Since my brothers moved out years ago, we should no longer have to stock our kitchen like we are feeding the small army that is two teenage boys. So, why do we continue to do so?

This morning alone, while I was looking for cocoa powder to add to my coffee, I counted 9 cans of red kidney beans. Okay, I know we're Mexican, but who the hell needs 9 cans of red kidney beans? Worse still, I think some of them have been there for months, so it's not as though they're in popular demand. Is there something I don't know? Are we saving for a nuclear holocaust? We don't even have dog food, but we have 9 cans of red kidney beans. And 3 cans of green beans, 2 cans of potatoes, 4 cans of corn, 2 cans of garbanzo beans, 7 cans of diced or crushed or stewed tomatoes, 4 cans (in varying sizes) of tomato paste, 1 gigantic can of pears that takes up half the shelf, 2 cans of peaches in heavy syrup, 1 can bamboo shoots, 1 can water chestnuts, 2 cans of peas, and 2 cans dark red kidney beans.

?????????????????????!
?????????????????????!!!

There aren't even words...

Remember, this is just the canned section of our virtual grocery store of a kitchen. I'll spare you the details of our fridge and our dry goods cabinets (does anyone even eat Wheatabix anymore?), but they're just the same or worse. So before I weed out the food matter that isn't sustainable and limit the amount of foods here that are packaged or processed, I guess I have to get rid of all the junk that nobody uses anyway. I mean, I'm vegan, leaving two meat eaters, one of whom can't have red meat. Why do we have 6 lbs of frozen beef patties sitting in our freezer, right next to my Soy Delicious Chocolate Obsession? It makes no sense. We make no sense. I'm tired of watching good food go to waste, especially because I don't believe in even purchasing food anymore.

Check out the link on the sidebar that says Freegan.info. It gives you lists and links of statistics info that may change the way you think about grocery shopping, and hopefully will make you less inclined to waste food like us.

Take only as you need; give as much as you can.

No comments: