Monday, July 16, 2007

Today- new rule/ results of freezing meals

It took me 4 months to get rid of everything I didn't need or want anymore. I started way back in March in preparation for painting my room. It took me a month just to de-clutter enough so I could move things out, and start to paint. Finally, three months and several Good Will runs later, I'm satisfied with the amount of things I've decided to keep- which is very little, thank the bloody lord. I didn't realize how much crap I had been keeping for years! I've been frantically posting on Freecycle, shelling out unused, still wrapped things as gifts to friends, and begging my parents for yet another ride to the closest clothing donation box (environmentally friendly though it is, it sucks that I still can't drive).

And clothing was a big thing.

I had so much of, there was enough to wear an entirely knew outfit every day for 4 months, no joke, and truth of the matter is, I didn't wear even half of it on a regular basis. I adore vintage clothing, and even though I can't sew worth a lick, I still "re-did" a lot of clothing that was given to me by friends of the family. Since I'm a very small size, none of it fit anyway. Did that stop me from hording it like a bag lady? No. Of course not. It was clothes! Why shouldn't someone want more clothes? So, I kept it.

What for? So it could sit around? It was useless, keeping all those things I'd never use, that someone else could. Same goes for the ridiculous amount of things I kept because I thought I'd miss them otherwise, things with only a small fraction of even sentimental memories. It was selfish and materialistic. I don't want my life to have base in material things; I really don't. I'm completely glad I gave those things away.

So if you read this, think about everything you're holding onto unnecessarily, and get rid of it. Maybe you already know how good it feels to just have it out of your life, as well as the nice feeling you get knowing that you didn't just junk it or let it sit around. As always, put your unwanteds to good use- reuse.

With that said, I've now decided that I with my new wardrobe comes responsibilities. I definitely still have enough clothes to go about two weeks without washing, which is my ultimate goal. But until I receive my shipment of, ahem, personals, I'm going to cut back to one washing every week. Hopefully, I may even achieve my Two-week goal now, depending on what kind of load the rest of my family is doing at the moment.

And the results of freezing meals- excellent, and delicious, if I do say so myself. I made and froze a meal featuring the Shepard's Pie from How It All Vegan, which is one of my favorite dishes, and just had some today. Well worth the mere 40 minutes or so it took me on Saturday. (By the way, this shepard's pie meal was made to replace my favorite frozen meal, Amy's Vegetarian Meatloaf.)

If anyone has word on Microwaves vs. Oven, electricity or health-wise, I'd like to hear it. Keep in mind, though, that I'm freezing these meals with tupperware, nothing oven-safe. So, if you also have information on oven safe reusable containers, I'd love to hear about them also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.