Thursday, July 12, 2007

Today- The Supermarket Fandango!

I never use a grocery list. I hate it- I feel like an old lady. I love the grocery; I love being at the grocery. I hate "the grocery list". But now, apparently, I must make one. It's confusing and it's hurting my brain- how do you adults do this properly? Organize by aisle? Are you kidding me?- but it's for a good cause.

The goal of this grocery list is to help me abstain from excessive packaging, GMO filled foods, and go for as much local and/or sustainedly grown foods as possible. With that in mind, the emphasis is on bulk foods, in season produce, using my own reusable packages when I can, and only buying as much as I know I will eat within the 2 weeks. This may mean an extra trip to the store, but as at least one member of the family passes through town everyday, it would be more of a stop, if needed at all.

By the way, the first venture on making my own equivalent to my favorite packaged foods has been settled. I've decided to try 'Big Ben's Lentil Burgers' recipe from "How it all vegan!" (excellent cookbook) to wean me off those damn fine Boca burgers. But you know what they say- you can't beat home-cooked! Here's the slightly tweaked recipe, meeting my own 'Delicious' standards-

1/2 cup wheat germ
2 cups cooked or canned lentils
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 small tomato, diced
1/4 cup diced onions
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1+ tbsp oil
1+ tbsp braggs*
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2+ tsp pepper (to taste)

First, set aside about an 1/8 cup of the wheat germ for coating the patties. You may first want to mash about 1/2- 1 cup of the lentils before mixing the ingredients. Then combine the remaining wheat germ, all of the lentils, bread crumbs, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Incorporate the wet ingredients and spices; you may need to add more oil or braggs to help the patties stay together. Coat the surface of each patty in the extra wheat germ. Cook the burgers on a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, flipping occasionally.

I just hope they freeze well!

*Braggs is the brand name for bottled liquid amino acids, which is a very awesome flavoring agent much like soy sauce and often used in vegan cooking. You could also use a steak or wocestshire sauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the 90% reduction challenge, too, and am enjoying your blog. Cheers!
I have found that the way I eat has a big, big impact --- on power used for cooking, on amount of refrigeration needed, etc. That seems to be a major focus for you, too. Luckily I can live without a car because I'm close to work and public transportation. I think I may get cold this winter, but since I live near public libraries and coffee shops, during extreme weather I can take my work with me and take advantage of institutional heating and cooling. Since common spaces like that are maintained all the time, it seems to make sense, though I'm sure if a mob showed up it would raise their energy costs.
It would be harder for me if I had a regular job, but for now, so good.@ Best of luck, Martha