Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Today- It's hairstyling, not chemistry class

Vinyl Acetate. PEG-12 Dimethicone. Panthenyl ethyl Ether. ETHER??? That is what the hell I am putting in my hair? Sweet Jesus.

So, why do hairspray and other beauty products need everything to come out of a lab? I'm betting it's pretty simple. In essence, they re-create things that occur in nature, only they do it in a lab and try and control the fuck out of it. Then, they bottle it. We stick it on our heads, slather it onto our skins, and watch it foam out of our mouths.

You don't even need the liquified gas, in the form of dimethyl ether, usually, to style your hair or hold it in place. It is only used as a propellant to send the sticky stuff through the nozzle at your locks. The appearance of silky smooth hair, even, clear skin, and a bright, white smile can all be achieved naturally as well, making all this lab work hardly worth the effort.

Though there are many products on the market which use all natural ingredients and aren't all that different from things you can pick up at the grocery, you might just be better off heading to Stop n' Shop sometimes. There are many different treatments for all your beauty woes which can be performed easily at home. And it could save testing on animals, the ozone layer, landfill space, your money, and damage to your hair, skin, and nails.

So today, I did just that. I wanted to treat my new hair cut, and I remembered how much damage I had done to my hair before. So I searched online (see, this why technology can be a good thing) and found a chem-free home made hair mask. After I sat around looking like a housewife, with my green face and sticky hair, I showered and used a vinegar rinse. Tada! Natural beauty.

Go here to try the honey mask I used today, along with other home made hair masks: http://www.hairstylecity.com/HairCare/HomeMadeHairMasks.aspx

For some good general information on the science of hairspray products, go here: http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/hair_spray.html





No comments: