Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Today- An obvious choice

I live a 45 minute walk from the nearest store. At that store, chain-smoking Maine natives grunt hello and then throw my oatmeal, the only vegan thing in the renovated trailer/cig shop, at me and expect me to walk peacefully back home. It's just not worth it. In order to get places where I live, the reality is that I need a car.

So what can be done for people who live in remote places that lack public transportation, or even the convenience of a convenience store? Rideshare, obviously. I've carpooled for years to and from dance classes with local girls. It's stressful, also, because I don't have my license, and I'm not sure if a car is a good investment. I've always assumed that buying an extra car just for the 2 years I'll need it at home would be a waste of money, because I'm ditching the gas-guzzler as soon as I move out to wherever I roam.

I guess that part of the reason why my ecological footprint number was so large was because I do have to commute in order to get where I'm going. So, in an effort to offset that number, I'm upping the number of commuters in the vehicle. I'm putting this into practice as soon as I can, which means I'm riding with my dance teacher partway to the studio tomorrow morning when I go to class. It not only saves the environment, my mother won't have to wake up and make the 50 minute drive after she's work all night (she's a nurse). Needless to say, my parents are all for it.

In the past, I've had experiences with alternative transportation, like buses, bikes, subways, and even hitchhiking. Because some of my modes have been a little dangerous, I'm going to have to get my license soon. I'd like to know of the "greenest" cars out there, whether they are specifically designed to be Green, or are just fuel-efficient, what your opinion is on the best transportation available, and just how much all this is going to cost me.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't think of anything greener
than a bicycle.
Tromsoe Norway http://www.juneauempire.com/images/032507/16802_500.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kstoerz/sets/72157600282568638/

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I currently also have a car. The sole reason I do, however, is my parents. They live about an hour away, and I want to be able to get to them.

Do I drive daily? Yeah, I admit I do, but I try and run all of my errands at once and when I'm home, I walk to do whatever errands I need. There is a shopping center across the street from me with most of the basics.

I do carpool to work. Also, my car is a '95 Honda Accord. It's pretty efficient. It used to get over 30mpg-city, but it's older. It gets around 25mpg-city now.

I know I could live without my car. That's not the issue at all. In the DC area, you can get almost anywhere strictly using PT. I was without a car for a few years a while back. I can do it. I just want to make sure I can get to my parents if they need me.

We do the best we can.
~Jen M from "freeganworld" list